Florida Real Estate for Foreign Investors

Foreign Real Estate Investors

Florida Real Estate for Foreign Investors

The low cost of Florida real estate creates tremendous opportunities for foreign real estate investment. You can take advantage of these values for capital gain, income or for personal use.

If you are a foreign investor interested in Florida real estate there are certain reporting and tax considerations that you must be aware of. We can help you comply with all regulations and make the purchase of real estate in Florida simple and problem free.

Why should a foreign investor invest in Florida real estate?

I do not want to spend a long time on the obvious. But, here are a few reasons:

1. The United States real estate market offers stability.

2. Low volatility (going forward).

3. Purchasing power of foreign currencies against the dollar.


Who can I buy real estate from?

Technically speaking, you can buy real estate from anyone you want. However, only a licensed real estate agent can gain access to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) listings and deal with another real estate broker.

What are the reporting requirements for a foreign investor?

If you buy agricultural land, you might have to make a simple report to the US Department of Agriculture. It depends on the size of the property and how much money it has generated.

Also, the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the Commerce Department might want some information for statistical purposes. Again, it depends on the size of the property and the intended use.

Foreign investor tax requirements?

Foreign buyers and sellers of U.S. real estate need a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) unless you have a social security number.

There are a number of effective tax strategies that you can take to lower your taxes on income from U.S. real property. This includes limited partnerships or by electing to treat U.S. property as effectively connected to a trade or business.

In addition, certain nations have tax treaties with the United States and other rules would apply.

We will provide as much guidance as is professionally responsible. However, a tax attorney is a better source for ideas to lower your taxes.

I do not live in the United States. How do I invest?

It depends on what type of property you are looking to purchase. Lots of homes and condos come on the market and are gone in days. There is not enough time for you to get on a plane fly to Florida, inspect the property and then think about it for a few weeks. I wish it was different, but it is not.

However, investment property is not a personal decision. You should not care about the color of the bathroom, the arrangement of the rooms, etc. You are evaluating a completely different set of factors and using an agent to view properties and gather information is acceptable.

We have sold many properties to individuals that never saw the properties. Many of them bought, rented out and then sold the properties without ever visiting them.

If the property is for personal use, it is a completely different story. Still, we can do cature videos that can be viewed online and over time get a good feel for what you are looking for.

Naturally, we welcome you to visit and view properties first hand.


954-255-5056 Monday to Thursday from 9 AM to 8 PM EST and on Friday until 6 PM
We will also return your calls on weekends. Or, CLICK HERE to send us and email.

Home | Condo Conversions | Investing in Florida Land | Spec Houses | Florida Pre-Construction | Florida Condominiums | Mortgages | 1031 Exchanges | Real Estate IRA | Being a Landlord | Cape Coral Real Estate | Coral Springs Real Estate | Parkland Real Estate | Fort Lauderdale | Port St. Lucie Real Estate | Ocala Real Estate Investments | Lehigh Acres | Wilton Manor | Newsletter | Links | About | Contact Us |

The information on this web site is provided as a guide for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be tax or legal advice. It is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Please consult with your own attorney, tax advisor and/or accountant for specific advice. Martin Unger is a licensed sales associate in the state of Florida and works with Royal Florida Realty.